Thursday, September 24, 2009

I thought doing IUI was a difficult process but I hadn’t done invitro yet. IUI is a piece of cake compared to invitro. As you can see by the examples below of the prescription first one of an IUI and the 2nd one is invitro.



The first step in the process of invitro is you and your partner has to have blood drawn to test for HIV, Hept B, Hept C and to find out your blood type. We went to the hospital to have this done and come to find out this was something that insurance does not pay for. So here is another example of doing more research before you have this done. The reason I am saying this is because my fertility doctor’s office had a reduced payment for those that insurance will not cover. The savings would have been for me about $500.00.

The next thing we did was have an hour consultation with the nurse at the doctor’s office. This person goes through all the drugs, when to take and how to administer. There is so much information it is very overwhelming. You need to make sure you take a lot of notes. My problem was remembering what needle to use with what drug. I was lucky and Aaron seems to understand all of it so I counted on him to figure it all out.

I first started taking birth control this is for the doctor to control my cycle. I took the birth control for 16 days. On the 7th day during the 16 days of birth control I had a blood test done. Then on the 16th day an ultrasound was done to make sure I did not have any cyst. Four days later I started the medications.

Finally we start the fertility medication and this is the list in order of what I had to take and when. Each thing had to be taken at certain times of the day. So it wasn’t as simple as taken everything first thing in the morning and be done.



Pregnancy test was negative and to top it all off insurance denied the claim. The insurance company said that the test was denied because they do not cover expenses related to the diagnosis and/or treatment of infertility or fertilization procedures. The cost to take the test was $588.73 I am in the process of appealing this claim. A pregnancy test has nothing to do with the reason of denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment